Sunday 5 August 2012

Frankenstein (Blog 1)

Helloooo.
So I have just finished reading the very beginning of Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. I obviously know the story well and we recently watched the film adaptation with Helena Bonham Carter and good old Kenneth Brannagh. By the way, did you see Kenneth at the Olympic opening ceremony? He was brilliantly dramatic as always!!

Anyway so for this text I kind of know what to expect in terms of the story line. I have got up to page 18 which is sort of the introduction to the story. A sailor writes letters home to his sister in which he tells her of his travels and how they found this European fellow floating in the ice near their boat. They nurse him back to health and the sailor becomes friends with him. The sailor then writes to his sister about how this strange man has a story he wants to tell him, and the sailor then relays it to his sister via letter. So this first section sets the  narrative frame for Frankenstein (who I have deduced is the European dude =P) to tell his story. Indeed the text then says 'Chapter I' and the story begins in first person with Frankenstein as the narrator.
I am looking forward to reading this book as I do like the story and it's pretty easy to understand all the way through. I also enjoy extra detail that obviously cannot be included in a film version. So the real message here is always read the book! ----and I am obviously really talking about the Harry Potter books =D.

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment